Scholarship Louis Bruyns
Call for proposals
Deadline: 5 January 2024 at 12 p.m.
For 2024, UCSIA finances a scholarship for a PhD student at a university in the Global South, who wants to spend a period at the University of Antwerp under the supervision of an entitled UAntwerp academic staff member.
During his/her stay at UAntwerp, the student will also co-organize a public event on a topic of concern for the Global South, in line with UCSIA’s theme of solidarity in Europe and the World.
The scholarship consists of a monthly allowance of 1750 Euro for a maximum duration of 10 months (starting at the latest on the 1 October 2024) and travel costs.
- Originate from one of the countries listed on the OECD/DAC-list of ODA recipients, preferably from the categories “least developed countries, other low income countries or lower middle income countries”;
- Have the intention to valorize their training in their country of origin or in another country in the Global South;
- Be registered as PhD student at an accredited university in a country in the Global South;
- Maximum age of 35.
Students have to send their written application to:
Or via e-mail: email@example.com, subject : ‘Call Fonds Bruyns 2024’
The proposal mentions
- Name, contact address, nationality, date and place of birth, country of residence;
- Past education, qualifications and study results;
- PhD-proposal on the basis of which the student has been accepted in the foreign university;
- Motivation of the request:
- Rationale of the stay at the UAntwerp within the framework of the PhD-trajectory;
- Development relevance of the research:
- How this research fits within a broader strategy of academic capacity building;
- How this research matches with societal actors’ agenda’s and/or wider policy processes in the country of origin;
- Envisaged topic of the public event to be organised at UAntwerp in cooperation with UCSIA;
- Three references, of which one written by the supervisor of the PhD in the foreign university and one written by the UAntwerp staff member supervising the PhD-student.